view a plan
Toddlers and preschoolers press their hands and feet into service for this patriotic flag activity
Art, Math, Social Studies
PreK, K, 1
Title – Hands-on Flag and Stand Up for America Activity
By – Lisa Howard
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Math, Social Studies
Grade Level – Preschool & Up
- A simple art activity for toddlers and preschoolers is the American Flag made with handprints. Children can take their paint to their own paper for freepainting after adding their red stripe, blue field, and white star handprints to this class flag.
- The handprint flag can be a centerpiece for a bulletin board, stating “
Holding Hands Across America
- ,” “
Hands Built Our Country
- ” or “
Our Future is in the Smallest Hands
- !” Simple patriotic stories and lots of pictures for younger children can give them a small understanding of what Fourth of July, Flag Day, Memorial Day, the war and the elections are all about. Each child’s thoughts on the subject can be written on their handprint.
- Another flag can be made with footprints of the class to be titled “
Stand Up for America
- ” or like the country song, “
Stand for Something or Fall for Anything
- “. The older the students, the more the group project can take on a social lesson in patriotism, community, or simply working together.
- Math lessons can include counting the stripes, stars and how many hand or footprints it takes to complete your flag. A history of the American Flag can be included and replicated by older students, noting the changing number of stars as our country grew.
E-Mail Lisa Howard !