view a plan
“Beep Beep Vroom Vroom” is a pattern lesson with colors and cars
By – Amanda Marshall
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – PK
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards:
- 111.2.a.1 recognizing patterns and relationships among objects
- TSW recognize and reproduce simple patterns of concrete objects
- TSW predict what comes next when patterns are extended
- TSW recognize patterns in their environment
List of Materials needed:
- The book Beep Beep Vroom Vroom by Stuart J. Murphy
- Red , yellow , and blue laminated cars
- Pocket Chart
- Get the class seated in one area for the story. Ask class what is a pattern? Give an example of a pattern and see if students can also give pattern examples.
- Introduce the book I will be reading to the class.
- Read book Beep Beep Vroom Vroom !
- After reading, ask the students to point out the patterns they have seen throughout the story.
- Take out the Red , yellow , and blue laminated cars.
- Take out the pocket chart.
- Make the first pattern of cars and place them in the pocket chart in front of the class.
- Ask the class to verbally repeat the pattern I have just made.
- Repeat step 5 and 6.
- Then pick students at random to come build their own pattern of cars on the pocket chart.
- Continue to let the students participate until the pocket chart is full.
- Once everyone is seated again, ask the class to say all the patterns they have created.
- Ask the class how they liked the book and what they have learned from today’s lesson.
E-Mail Amanda Marshall !