view a plan
This is a conversation heart ratio graphing activity
Title – Conversation Hearts Ratio Graphing Activity
By – Patty
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects -
Grade Level – 5
- Students will be able to create a tally chart to count the different colors of conversation hearts.
- Students will graph a ratio between two colored hearts.
- 1) Students will each receive a box of conversation hearts
- 2) Using a handout, students will count the number of white, pink, orange, yellow, green and purple hearts.
- 3) Instead of graphing each color, students will determine a ratio between two colors. Ex:
There are 12 whites to 8 pinks
- 4) Using a chart, students will continue the ratio pattern to create an x-value y-value table.
- 5) Using the table, students will graph their ratio with appropriate labels, axis, and title.
- Teacher will check for accuracy in table of values, and appropriate graphing procedures.
- 1) Some students may benefit from large scale graph paper when graphing their ratio.
- 2) Student who have difficulty with basic multiplication facts may want to use a calculator to determine their ratio values for the chart.
- 3) Handout alterations may also be beneficial to students that cannot attend to a long task with multiple directions.
E-Mail Patty !