view a plan
The last plan involves Interviews of Members of a Community
Language Arts, Social Studies
Title – Community Interview
By – Christine Silvestri
Subject – Social Studies, Language Arts
Grade Level – 3
Community Unit Contents:
Instructional Plan #3
II. Grade Level:
The children will be able to:
Ã‚Â· Participate in a class discussion on communities of the past by sharing responses to Community Questionnaire handout.
Ã‚Â· Brainstorm ideas for an informal interview by listing responses on LEA chart of possible interview questions.
Ã‚Â· Enhance speaking and listening skills by conducting an informal interview of any individual 35 older.
Community Questionnaire (refer to lesson #2)
Community Interview Sheet (see attached)
Unit Journals & Unit Journal Response # 3 (see attached)
Pencil & paper
1. Review and share responses to community questionnaire.
2. Discuss that the questionnaire was the first step in discovering our community’s past and that today we will be completing the next step.
1. Explain to the children that the next step in discovering our community’s past is to conduct an interview.
2. Have the student’s brainstorm possible interview questions. Students will then share their responses and record their response on the LEA chart.
3. Have the student’s vote on the five best interview questions.
4. Have students fill in questions on Community Interview Sheet (see attached).
5. Divide students into pairs.
6. Have students conduct interview.
7. After completing interview, rewrite questions and answers on separate piece of paper.
1. Have students share their interview responses with class.
2. Have Students complete Unit Journal Response #3.
Note students’ responses to discussion. Did they show interest?
Note students’ responses for interview questions. Were they valid responses?
Review Unit Journals
Review Interviews w/use of rubric. (See attached)
Did all children participate in introduction discussion?
Did all children show interest in Interview project?
Lesson #4: Community Artifacts
Unit Journal Response #3
Directions: Answer the following question in you Unit Response Journal. Don’t forget to date your entry!
1. After conducting your interview, write one thing that you learned about you community’s past.
Directions: After filling the five questions that the class voted on, find a person 35 years or older who lived in your community in the past 20 years. Ask the questions and write down their answers. After your done rewrite the questions and answers on a separate piece of paper. Don’t forget to write in complete sentences!
Community Interview Rubric
Content / Question
Were appropriate cooperative learning skills used?
Were all questions asked and answered?
Was the interview rewritten, containing question and answer and was written using complete sentences?
E-Mail Christine !