view a plan
In this college readiness lesson, students investigate characteristics universities, internships and scholarship organizations seek in an applicant; create a short photo story illustrating their quali
10, 11, 12
Title – Select Me, I’m Ready – College Readiness Skills
By – Aglhaen Nieto-Cruz
Primary Subject – Other
Grade Level – 10 – 12
- Implement an activity that will increase participants’ ability to share their academic experiences in a competitive manner utilizing technological tools to do so. A significant growth in self efficacy is expected.
- 80% of program participants scheduled to graduate will successfully enroll in a post-secondary program of study at their choice institution.
- TLW verbally and visually express the purpose and value of extracurricular involvement.
- TLW demonstrate interviewing skills for college, internship and scholarship interviews.
- TLW demonstrate the ability to evaluate personal strengths and deficiencies
- Internet Access
- Photo Story 3
- Sample Resume
- Copy of Current Resume
- Invite students to begin preparing for the competitive Summer CUB Internship Program.
- Review requirements which include:
- electronic resume
- letter of intent
- supporting artifacts
- Announce December deadline.
- Begin by asking students to verbally share their greatest academic success. Next do the same for deficiencies. Guide discussion to explore their perceptions of a successful college bound student.
- Share relevant websites that will assist students in investigating what universities, internships and scholarship organizations are looking for in their interviewees and applicants . Encourage them to explore and collaborate with their peers. Allot 15-20 minutes of research time. Direct them to create a list of activities that illustrate sought out characteristics.
- Utilizing their list – have students identify activities and characteristics they possess that are aligned to their findings. Ask them to write a script about their personal experiences related to such activities and how such experiences better prepares them for success in post secondary education.
- Ask students to identify relevant images that help illustrate points discussed in their script.
- Upon completion of steps 1-4 students will be ready to create a 3-5 minute photo story illustrating relevant college preparation activities they have participated in. The story will complement their resume.
- Begin, mediate and help redirect (if necessary) discussion regarding college ready characteristics.
- Provide example of appropriate images which illustrate college bound behaviors or experiences.
- TLW conduct research and create a photo story
- TLW present their photo story to peers and moderator.
- TLW evaluate his/her photo story and determine what additional activities would have enhanced student’s college readiness.
- They will identify future activities they will become involved in.
- Adaptations for Special Education will be provided through campus disabilities office.
- Required and/requested tools will be obtained through procedural requests.
E-Mail Aglhaen Nieto-Cruz !