view a plan
“The Amazing Caterpillar” lesson utilizes live butterfly kits, internet sites, books, puppets, etc. to investigate the life cycle of a butterfly
Title – The Amazing Caterpillar
By – Alison Rollins
Primary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 1-2
Lesson Plan Title: The Amazing Caterpillar
Objectives: Students will investigate the life cycle of a butterfly using live butterfly kits, information provided from the internet, and teacher made activities.
The teacher will obtain a live butterfly kit. Students will need access to a computer connected to the internet. Students will also need popsicle sticks, markers and glue for procedure #4.
1. Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar
2. Look at various picture books of caterpillars and butterflies.
3. Observe the butterfly garden daily.
4. Go to websites to see stages in color.
5. Make paper cutouts printed from website and glue on popsicle sticks to make “puppet show”
6. Construct a diagram of the life cycle.
Student Web Work Procedure
The teacher will use a smart board and students will be in groups of 2 or 3 at computers to follow with the teacher. Students will not complete the assignments on their own.
Students develop understanding that:
- -organisms reproduce offspring of their own kind and resemble parents and one another
- -sequential stages of life cycles are different for different animals
- -will be able to identify and describe each stage (egg, larva (caterpillar) pupa (cocoon), adult butterfly
Assessment & Evaluation:
- A rubric will be made to evaluate students’ progress.
E-Mail Alison Rollins !