view a plan
“Mosaic Flower Pots” are created using the Mosaic Direct Method above
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Title – Mosaic Flower Pots
By – Delphi
Primary Subject – Art
Grade Level – 1-5
Time Required: 2-3 Sessions
Students will 1) learn the direct method of mosaics; 2) learn shape and dimension in three-dimensional projects; 3) develop their creativity by choosing colors and creating designs.
Students should complete the following lessons before starting this project:
Delphi Direct Method Mosaics
Delphi Beginning Stained Glass Instruction
|1||#7973B||Ã‚Â¾” Stained Glass Chips — 4 lb. Variety Mix|
|1||#201875||Terra Cotta Grout – 10 lb.|
|—||#8971U||Daisy Stained Glass Pre-Cut (optional)|
|Project to mosaic:||Small clay flower pots
(about 4″ high and 4Ã‚Â½” wide)
Teacher’s note: stained glass chips and grout create approximately 24 projects.
Additional tools used: Basic supplies listed on Delphi’s Instructions for Mosaic Direct Method .
Refer to Delphi’s Instructions for Mosaic Direct Method for detailed instructions.
- If working with a pattern, use carbon paper to trace the pattern onto the pot.
- Students nip and glue on chips either alone or combined with a pre-cut. Students create their own design or follow a pattern provided by teacher.
- Allow glue to set for 24 hours.
- Mix up grout and apply to pots.
- Remove excess grout and sponge off any grout on the flower pot rim. Let grout dry.
- Buff glass pieces clean.
- If students are familiar with stained glass cutting techniques (see www.lessonplanspage.com//artdelphiglasscuttingtechniques912-htm/ ), they can cut specific shapes, or you can use pre-cut designs. Delphi’s Pre-Cut Stained Glass Daisy (#8971U), Frog (#425519U) or Dragonfly (#425520U) designs work great on flower pots.
- This project works great on any sized pot. For larger flower pots, you can combine pre-cuts or cluster the daisies to form floral bunches.
Project ideas are from Mosaic Art Outdoor DÃƒÂ©cor for Beginners book #5998.
Visit Delphi’s teacher site for a 10% discount, www.delphiglass.com/teach .
For more information email Delphi!