Title – Patriotic Heart Suncatcher
By – Delphi
Primary Subject – Art
Grade Level – 4-8
Time Required: 3 sessions
1) Students will learn the basics of stained glass including glass cutting, assembly, soldering and finishing. 2) Students will improve hand dexterity, attention to detail and craftsmanship. 3) Students will learn the importance of color and light, as sunlight will change the color of the glass and crate a rainbow refractory through the bevel.
Before beginning this lesson, students should complete:
Delphi Beginning Stained Glass Instruction
Delphi Glass Cutting Techniques
Materials for 12 Projects:
||1Ã‚Â½ Square Bevels
||Spectrum Red Rough Rolled Glass
||Spectrum Blue Rough Rolled Glass
||Spectrum White Waterglass
||7/32 Silver Back Foil
for Lead Free use #2999)
||Bag of Hooks
Teacher’s note: Cut each small sheet of glass into six pieces, creating 4″ square pieces of glass for each student. Experiment with different colors of glass. If creating hearts that are one color (example: all red for a Valentine’s Day project) use 4 small sheets of glass, with each student receiving 1/3 of the sheet.
See Basic Supplies List on
Delphi’s Beginning Stained Glass Instructions sheet
Refer to Delphi’s Beginning Stained Glass Instructions (www.lessonplanspage.com//artdelphibeginningstainedglassinstruction412-htm/) for detailed directions.
1. Cut the easiest piece first — they’re numbered from the easiest (#1 is a bevel – no cutting required) to the most difficult (pieces 4 and 5).
2. On pieces 4 and 5, cut the curved side first.
3. Grind or use a scythe stone to remove burrs.
5. Solder, including the hook onto the top of the heart.
6. Clean and polish.
Visit Delphi’s teacher site for a 10% discount, www.delphiglass.com/teach .
E-Mail Delphi !