view a plan
Here’s an idea to make collage snow people as seen in Lois Ehlert’s book “Snowballs”
Art, Language Arts
Title – Snowballs Read-Aloud and Art Follow-Up
By – Amy Mullen
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – Pre K/Special Education
- Snowballs by Lois Ehlert,
- brown paper sacks,
- collage materials (paper scraps, cardboard pieces, yarn ,juice boxes, buttons, tissues, etc.)
- The teacher reads the story
- by Lois Ehlert to the class. The book is filled with collage snow people – mothers, fathers, babies, cats and dogs – all made with found objects.
- Each student is given a brown lunch bag and told to walk around the classroom and pick up scraps from the tables. The tables are strewn with collage materials listed in the “supplies” section above.
- After the children have filled their bag, they are each given a large piece of construction paper. On this paper, they are instructed to create their own snowman out of the different scraps.
- The students can then share their snowmen with the class.
E-Mail Amy Mullen !