view a plan
In this greeting card idea, students also collect and identify leaves, write a poem and discuss photosynthesis
Art, Language Arts, Science
1, 2, 3
Title – Leaves Are Falling Greeting Card
By – Mrs. Kathleen Wild
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts, Science
Grade Level – 1-3
- Card stock paper or construction paper – one per student
- Elmer’s glue
- Colored markers
- 3-5 Leaves
- Take your students for a walk where there are trees.
- Have the student choose about three to four leaves in different colors.
- Walk back to the classroom and have the students lay the leaves down on their desks.
- Then instruct them to fold the card stock or construction paper in half, so that it looks like a card.
- The student can then glue each leaf to the card using the Elmer’s glue.
- Scissors can be used to trim the leaves.
- The card should dry for about 15 minutes.
- Now, students can open the cards up and write either a poem or a greeting on the inside of the cards.
- Finally, instruct the students to sign their name below what they have written.
- Science: This is a nice project that can also lead into an identification of leaves unit, as well as a talk about photosynthesis.
- Language Arts: This lesson may also be used during a poetry unit.
Enjoy getting into nature with this plan!
E-Mail Mrs. Kathleen Wild !