view a plan
Children will love making and giving this holiday gift craft – pinecone air fresheners
K, 1, 2, 3
By – Dr. Kathleen Wild
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – K-3
- One baby food jar and lid per student
- silver and gold spray paint
- one large bag of small pinecones
- cinnamon or pine essential oils
- white, silver or gold glitter
- small Ziplock bags
- a measuring cup
- sheets of newspaper
- Elmer’s glue
- Hand out one small Ziplock bag to each student.
- Have each child dip the measuring cup into the bag of pinecones and fill it to about the 3/4-cup mark.
- Then have the children dump the pinecones into their Ziplock bag.
- Assist the children by placing 3-5 essential oil drops into their bag of pinecones.
- Zip the bags and let the students shake their bags.
- Store the bags for 24 hours so that the oil soaks into the cones.
- Now let the children sprinkle glitter onto the pinecones and shake bag again.
- On the next day, lay out the newspaper on a table, preferably outdoors. Spray the silver or gold paint on the lids. Let dry for about 30 minutes.
- Now the children can pour the pinecones into the jar and place the painted lid on the jar.
- Next have the children place a dot of glue the size of a dime on the lid and glue a pinecone to the lid of the jar.
- These crafts are now ready to be taken home, opened up, and used as an air freshener.
- The student may wrap the present for Christmas or a birthday, or even as a “get well” gift. They could even make a special card to go with it.
- These could be sold at a Christmas Bazaar held at the school to help with funds for a school trip.
- You could even have the students visit a nursing home and take them to the elderly patients to show that they care.
E-Mail Dr. Kathleen Wild !