view a plan
Here is an observational pencil drawing lesson
Title – Mother Nature Designer
By – Kieron
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subject – Science
Grade Level – 6
- To explore ideas for design.
- To know what an observational drawing is and to acquire skills in producing them.
- Tell the pupils that this half term’s topic is about Mother Nature Designer. What could this mean? What type of things are natural, what is man-made?
- Take students on a walk around the school grounds. Identify plants and animals in different areas. Make a collection of interesting dead or dying items. Do not take living things; discuss with the students why not.
- Back at school, pupils look at their finds using magnifying glasses to examine them more carefully. They then describe their treasures to the rest of the class, especially the details of texture and shape.
- Each student should choose one item to make a detailed pencil drawing of. Prior to drawing, the teacher will demonstrate blending and blocking colours and making strong and delicate lines.
- Pupils will evaluate their work and the work of others, also stating what they found difficult to do or easy.
- They will be judged on their oral description of findings and completed observational drawing. Look at the details in the drawings, have they been able to draw the spikes, etc.
- Bags for collecting.
- Magnifying glasses.
- Sharp pencils
E-Mail Kieron !