view a plan
Jewelry Making – decorating salt dough pieces
Social Studies, Art
4, 3, 2
By – Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies
Grade Level – 2-4
|The Handicrafts of Pakistan Unit|
Activity 1: Jewelry Making
- Salt Dough
Cross Curricular Link:
- Social Studies – History
- 60-80 minutes
- Salt dough
- Decorative items like small pieces of mirror, beads, colored stones and shells
- Fish wire
- Polythene sheets
- Pictures of Pakistani jewelry
- To enable the students to:
- Design jewelry
- Decorate and assemble the pieces to make a jewelry item
- Mix 1 part salt with 2 parts flour to make salt dough.
- Color can also be added to the dough if desired.
- Tell students a little about the handicrafts of Pakistan and show them pictures of ancient and the latest jewelry designs and other engraved handicrafts.
- Tell students that they will be making jewelry (a necklace or a pair of earrings) with salt dough. However, they need to make their designs on paper before using dough.
- Distribute resources.
- Tell students to decorate their pieces by pressing mirrors, beads, etc. on the jewelry pieces while the dough is still soft.
- Ask students to make a hole with a toothpick and thread the fish wire through the finished jewelry pieces to bring it to final shape.
E-Mail Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi !