view a plan
Metal Craft – engraving a foil-covered dish
Art, Social Studies
2, 3, 4
Title – Pakistani Handicrafts Unit – Metal Craft
By – Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies
Grade Level – 2-4
|The Handicrafts of Pakistan Unit|
Activity 2: Metal Craft
- Aluminum Foil
Cross Curricular Link:
- Social Studies – Ancient history
- 60 to 80 minutes
- Aluminum foil
- Styrofoam cups/plates/trays
- Lead pencils
- Reference pictures of metal crafts
- To enable the students to:
- Appreciate the metal crafts of Pakistan
- Create an engraved design on foil
- aluminum foil
- Tell students that they will be engraving a design on foil.
- Show the pictures of different metal crafts of Pakistan to the students.
- Tell them that these decorative utensils are usually produced in the northern areas of Pakistan and are famous all over the world for their beauty and craftsmanship. Explain to the students that the design on the metal is hand-engraved with the help of a tool called the graver.
- Ask them to make their designs on paper first.
- Distribute resources.
- Tell students to wrap the foil paper on the Styrofoam cup/plate/tray and engrave the selected design on it with a blunt-tipped pencil.
- Ask them to write their names on small slips of paper and stick them to the bottom of their cup/plate/tray.
E-Mail Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi !