view a plan
Patchwork Collage – arranging wrapping paper shapes
Social Studies, Art
4, 3, 2
By – Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi
Primary Subject – Art
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies
Grade Level – 2-4
|The Handicrafts of Pakistan Unit|
Activity 4: Patchwork
Cross Curricular Link:
- Social Studies
- 60 to 80 minutes
- Colored chart paper, 1/4 for each student
- Rolls or sheets of printed wrapping paper or colorful old magazine pages
- Scales (ruler)
- Reference pictures of Sindhi Rilhis and Western patchwork (Google Image Searches: “Sindi Ralhi patchwork” “Rilli patchwork” and “Ralli Quilt”)
- To enable students to:
- Know the traditional craft of Sindhi Rilhi
- Make a patchwork design
- Cut 2-inch wide strips of different wrapping paper/magazine pages for patchwork
- Tell the students that they will be making a patchwork design.
- Show them pictures of Sindhi Rilhi and Western patchwork to appreciate the difference in design.
- Tell them that they will make the patchwork by pasting printed paper, as it will be difficult for them to stitch printed cloth.
- Distribute resources (2-inch wide strips of different wrapping paper/magazine pages) to each group and ask them to draw a border (approximately a half-inch) on their colored chart papers.
- Ask students to cut different shapes (squares, triangles and rectangles).
- Students may exchange the wrapping paper strips with each other.
- Tell students to arrange and paste these shapes on their colored chart paper to make a patchwork design.
E-Mail Rukhe Neelofer Zaidi !