view a plan
This lesson teaches children about the parts and functions of the computer by comparing them to body parts and their functions
Computers & Internet
By – Nancy Tue
Primary Subject – Computers / Internet
Grade Level – K
Tennessee technology standard:
- K.1.1 Students will demonstrate an understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems.
- This lesson teaches young students about the parts and functions of the computer by comparing them to body parts and their functions.
- Growing Through Technology website – Katie’s Computer section http://www.growing.course.com/level_K/computer_parts/index.html
- Kidspiration software
- Have the children click on a part of the computer on the aforementioned website. You could just point to the parts of the classroom computer, but this website makes it more fun.
- After they have heard what the part of the computer is called and what it does, talk about what part of our body does a similar job. The parts we have come up with are:
Monitor eyes System Unit brain Speakers ears Mouse hands Keyboard mouth
- I explain that the printer is not part of a computer, but it works with the computer. I put on my glasses and ask the students if the glasses are part of my body. When they say no, I tell them that even though they are not part of my body, they work with my body to help me see better.
- After learning about the parts of a computer, I have them open a prepared Kidspiration document with a picture of a computer. The library is set to the body parts. The students then drag the body part to the computer to show what each part of the computer does.
E-Mail Nancy Tue !