view a plan
Students learn how to create the drop cap on the first letter of a paragraph here while reflecting on New Year’s resolutions and goals
Seasonal, Language Arts, Computers & Internet
New Year’s Reflections and Drop Cap Instructions
By – Barbara Stephens
Primary Subject – Computers / Internet
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – 5-6
- The student will learn how to create the drop cap on the first letter of his paragraph.
- The student will begin to develop the skills of self-reflection and of putting thoughts into language.
- The student is instructed to use MS Word to:
- Create a paragraph reflecting on the previous year.
- Write goals for the new year consisting of learning new skills, creating new relationships with others and growing as a person.
- When the paragraph is complete, the drop cap application will be instructed.
- Drop Cap Instructions:
- Click anywhere in the paragraph whose first letter you want to “drop.” In this lesson, it will be the first letter of the paragraph
- Choose “Format” from the tool bar and go to “Drop Cap”
- Chose a font from the font “Drop Cap Down” list.
- In the “Lines to drop” scull boss, choose how many text lines the letter should “drop on.”
- Click “Okay.”
- When the student has spell checked his work print out the paragraph.
- Provide an envelope and have the student place his paragraph in his envelope. Take it home and save to be opened in a year.
Note: This is a fun lesson for the students, plus it encourages creativity, writing, keyboarding, Microsoft Word and thinking skills.
E-Mail Barbara Stephens !