Father’s Day Lessons and Teacher Resources
Father’s Day is a day to celebrate parenting, and to honor and commemorate fathers and forefathers. Father’s Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and typically involves gift-giving, and special dinners to fathers and family-oriented activities. … In recent years, retailers have adapted to the holiday by promoting greeting cards and male-oriented gifts such as electronics and tools. Schools and other children’s programs commonly have activities to make Father’s Day gifts. – Wikipedia
- Here’s an idea for making Father’s Day t-shirts (Art P-1)
- Make a gift bag for Dad with this craft idea (Art 1-3)
- Students make scented paper flowers in this Father’s Day or Valentine idea (Art 2)
- This Father’s Day card idea begins with an origami shirt with an attached paper tie (Art MO)
- Here’s a brief idea for creating Father’s/Mother’s Day Word Art with Microsoft Word (CI 4-5)
- Create Father’s or Mother’s Day cards here using computers and the Internet (CI 4-7)
- “Quality Time” is a big book lesson about “Me and My Dad” (LA K)
- Here’s a fun collection of Father’s/Mother’s Day activity ideas (LA K-6)
- This idea is for writing Father’s Day/Valentine poetry (LA 3-4)
- This squeezy ball Father’s Day idea teaches gerunds and reduces stress (LA/Art 4-5)
- In this writing exercise, students create a Memory-A-Day box as a gift for Grampa, Dad, or anyone special (LA 6-12)
- The following is a collection of brief ideas for boosting Family Involvement (Other K-12):
- Here’s an overview of the activities for family involvement
- Here’s a collection of the letters to send to parents regarding the family involvement activities
- This one tries to help with “Adult Reading Buddies”
- This part is for developing a “Family Command Post”
- Here you can create a “Home Book Bag” for taking projects home to be done with the family
- This portion is called “Science Discovery Days”
- This one involves celebrating the holidays of different cultures
- “Curriculum Night” is an idea that gets parents into the schools
- Here are some miscellaneous ideas for family involvement
- Here are more unrelated Family lesson plans:
- Here’s an idea for creating a family tree on construction paper (SS 1)
- This lesson looks at the roles of different family members (SS 1)
- This lesson is on family diagrams (SS 1-2)
- Students create and narrate a family tree story line in this Photo Story 3 lesson (CI/SS 3-5)
- This lesson on immigration looks at family history and origins (SS 4-5)
- Here’s a computer lesson idea where students create a family tree with scanned photos (SS/CI 5-8)
- Students create a narrated family tree photo story from a template in this lesson (LA/SS 6-9)
- Here’s a family lesson plan including a family tree, interviewing family members, and much more (SS/LA 7-12)
- This film called “Father’s Day” is part of Liberty Mutual’s “The Responsibility Project” and involves forgiving fathers who weren’t there for you
- WikiHow and 5min.com show us How to Celebrate Fathers Day in these short videos
- Camille Erikson created this curious collection of animated and flash video e-cards
- Watch PBS KIDS Sprout Online videos about Father’s Day here with the Berenstein Bears, Caillou and Bob the Builder
- Here are fun facts and tips for Father’s Day from the USA.gov.
- PBS KIDS Sprout Online offers Father’s day crafts, videos, coloring pages and games.
- Crayola.com provides coloring pages, craft ideas, e-cards and a handful of art-related lesson plans for Father’s Day.
- LoveYouFather.com and TheHolidaySpot.com host all your Father’s Day needs starting with poems, quotes, recipes, and songs down to jokes, movies and party decorations.
- Learn more about the history of Father’s Day, famous TV dads and more at this History.com minisite.
- You can find a great collection of Father’s Day craft ideas at Kaboose.com.
- EdHelper.com offer a Father’s Day themed book units, a science activity, math worksheets, and many activity pages.
- DLTK presents similar Father’s Day activities, games, and crafts for the pre-school set.