SUBJECT: Arts and Music, Arts and Technology GRADES: 4-5
view a plan
Ink/pattern drawing: NeoWhimsies
JR. MOVIE <–click to watch the introduction-movie
OBJECTIVE Students will:
1. Learn about Nadia Russ, NeoPopRealism art style creator and about NeoWhimsies, the simplified NeoPopRealism
2. Compare and contrast realistic art and NeoPopRealism/NeoWhimsies
3. Create a NeoPopRealism-inspired portrait.
– Computer with internet access to see a movie (WATCH A MOVIE HERE)
– A book “First Steps: NeoWhimsies: NeoPopRealism Ink Drawing for Beginners”, ISBN: 978-0615641553
– 8”x10” white drawing paper
– Ink pen
Display some of Nadia RUSS’ art posters in the classroom. Have a presentation ready to show students Nadia Russ’ NeoPopRealism art.
1. Day 1: Introduce Nadia RUSS’ life and NeoPopRealism art to students (a book “First Steps: NeoWhimsies: NeoPopRealism Ink Drawing for Beginners”, ISBN: 978-0615641553 contains this introduction at Page 8). Compare Nadia Russ’ ink/pattern drawing portraits and pencil drawings by Leonardo Da Vinci. Discuss how they are similar and different.
2. Hand out 8”x10” papers and have students write their names on the back.
Turn on music (not loud), preferably jazz. Demonstrate step-by-step how to draw the NeoPopRealism/NeoWhimsy image Butterfly 1 : draw the contours of wings. Then in the sections that appeared draw repetitive patterns.
3. Day 2: Continue teaching the drawing of different repetitive patterns, using ink pen. A book “First Steps: NeoWhimsies: NeoPopRealism Ink Drawing for Beginners” contains special section-chapter “Create Your Repetitive Patterns Gallery” at Pages 77-78. Offer student fill this gallery’s sections with 21 different repetitive patterns.
4. Day 3: Demonstrate how drawing the different repetitive patterns can change the same image character, its meaning, and look. Offer students to complete artworks – the images of butterflies – in a chapter “Draw the Butterflies with Serge Here and Now”, Pages 41-44, filling sections with different patterns.
5. Day 4: Offer students to create the NeoWhimsies staring from beginning to end, using for it special pages 71-76 of a book “First Steps: NeoWhimsies: NeoPopRealism Ink Drawing for Beginners” in chapter “Create Your NeoWhimsies from the Scratch”. Explore10 NeoPopRealism canons for happier life (page 81), learn about illustrator of this book.
6. Day 5. Make sure the students learned the concept of NeoPopRealism-NeoWhimsies’ ink drawing without eraser by offering them to complete a few more similar art projects from a book “First Steps: NeoWhimsies: NeoPopRealism Ink Drawing for Beginners”, ISBN: 978-0615641553 (see some samples of images below).