view a plan
Students give the gift of their time in this “Giving Tree” idea
Language Arts, Art
K, 3, 2, 1
Title – The Giving Tree
By – Dr. Kathleen Wild
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subjects – Art
Grade Level – K-3
- This is a very special Christmas gift for either a parent or a relative or even a special friend who is an adult.
- One small Christmas tree you can find the tree at many Dollar Stores.
- About two pieces of construction paper or writing paper.
- Colored pencils.
- A hole puncher.
- Colored ribbon.
- Cut pieces of paper about 4 inches wide by 4 inches long.
- Now fold the piece of paper in half.
- After folding in half like a miniature card, have the student punch a hole through the top left corner of the miniature card. This will be where the ribbon is placed through the hole that will be attached to the tree.
- Now, have the student write in the card a job or something special that they will do for that very special person in their lives. Examples would be: I will sweep the kitchen floor. I will take out the trash. One could even read: Good for one night of washing all of the dishes. Another example might be: I will polish the furniture .
- After the student has completed about 5 to 10 small cards for the tree, The ribbon can be inserted through the hole and tied to the miniature tree. This is a very nice gift for the student to give of them selves to another important person in their lives.
- This project may be used as a Christmas present or Valentines gift or even as a Birthday present. You may want to choose different colored ribbons for (red/green) Christmas colors, (red) Valentines Day, or (pink or blue) birthdays! This will help the student to see that they may give of their time as a present to help someone else. This will also teach good values.
E-Mail Dr. Kathleen Wild !