view a plan
Performing conversations helps students review last year’s Spanish lessons
6, 7, 8
Title – Beginning of the Year or
Semester Review for returning students
By – Alex Masciarelli
Primary Subject – Language Arts – Spanish
Grade Level – 6-8
Concept / Topic To Teach:
Beginning of Year/Semester Review
Standards Addressed: 1.1, 1.2
General Goal(s): Student will be able to converse with peer in target language as a way of reviewing previously learned material.
1. SWBAT simulate an everyday interaction between two Spanish language speakers passing each other at school.
2. SWBAT understand and respond to spoken language on a variety of topics.
- Textbook :”Ven Conmigo”
- Lined Paper
- Namesticks (for random pairing)
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
Show scene from accompanying video series that models student conversation. Discuss how at the end of the course last year, all students were able to converse like this.
1. Students should be assigned partners by random pairing of name sticks.
2. Students should begin by reviewing key phrases and verbs. They should do this in pairs in a read and quiz method.
3. To strengthen the review, as homework or in the next class, students should write an outline of what they’d like to say in their conversation. When students have completed their outline, they should create a realistic conversation.
4. After the conversation is complete, the students should check with the teacher before memorizing the dialogue. Any mistakes should be brought to the students’ attention. Once correct, memorization and practice should begin.
5. Once memorized, the conversation should be performed for the class.
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set): If lessons are videotaped, students may watch their videos and compare them to the series that accompanies the book.
Assessment Based On Objectives: Students may be graded using a rubric based on objectives or be given narrative feedback. Also students could use their own videos to do a self-assessment.
E-Mail Alex Masciarelli !