view a plan
“Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?” is the story used in this color/animal vocabulary lesson
Title – Brown Bear, Brown Bear Animal Colors
By – Rocio Arenas
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – K
TEKS: Language Arts (K.1) (B & C)
The student listens attentively and engages in a variety of oral language experiences. The student is expected to respond appropriately and courteously to directions and questions; and participate in rhymes, songs, conversations, and discussions.
The student will be able to:
1. Identify the colors used in the story without help.
2. Verbally describe the types of animals that were included in the story.
3. Draw one of the animals that were included in the story, and color it the same color as in the story.
List of Material Needed:
1. ” Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? ” book
2. Manila paper
Have the book, ” Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What, Do You See? ”
The students will need to move to the carpet for the duration of the story. After the story is over, and you have reviewed over the story, the students will move back to their seats and work on the activity (lesson).
Hold up the book and ask “What color is the bear?” Say ” Okay good job, we are going to read this book and it is called ‘ Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See ?’”
1. Have everyone sit on the carpet.
2. Ask, ” What colors do you see here ?” (while pointing to the strips of colors found inside the book).
3. Praise them by saying, ” Great job everyone, now let’s start and read the book .”
4. As you read, allow the students to participate by asking them, occasionally, what the color of a certain thing/animal that “Brown Bear” sees.
5. Let the students join in to say ” Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? ” everytime that phrase is repeated.
6. After finishing the book, ask the students ” What were some of the colors used in the book ?”
7. Ask, ” What did Brown Bear see that was red, blue, white, black, green, gold, yellow, etc. ? (Ask for the colors that were used in the story.)
8. Introduce the activity they will do, ” I am going to pass out a paper to each of you and you are going to draw one of the things that Brown Bear saw and color it the same color as it was in the book .”
9. Send them back to their seats. ” Now go back to your seats, so that I can pass out the paper .”
10. Pass out the manila paper.
1. Ask, ” What were some of the things that Brown Bear saw ?”
2. Ask, ” What colors were used in the book ?”
3. Ask, ” What are you going to do with your manila paper ?”
E-Mail Rocio Arenas !