view a plan
The story “Caps For Sale” is used in this color words vocabulary lesson
Title – Caps for Sale/Color Words
By – Kerry Watson
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – Kindergarten
- Students will be able to recognize color words.
- Students will be able to match color words to the correct color.
- Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
- Pocket Chart
- Sentence Strips for the sentence “Monkey, monkey in a tree, throw the _____________ cap down to me.”
- Color Words
- Index cards
- Colored Caps
- Photocopied caps (2 for each child)
- Children will be told that they are going to get to play a matching game.
- 1. The teacher will activate the students’ prior knowledge of colors.
- 2. The teacher will discuss reasons for learning color words (i.e. art class, drawing or mixing paint, traffic lights, etc.)
- 3. The teacher will introduce the book
Caps for Sale
- and guide the students through a picture walk.
- 4. The teacher will read the story asking questions to check for understanding.
- 5. The teacher will introduce the color caps and the monkey sentence.
- 6. The teacher will model reading the sentence using one color cap and the color word (written in its color).
- 7. The students will match the color word (written in its color) to the correct color hat.
- 8. After each match is made, the class will read the sentence together.
- 9. The teacher will introduce a new set of color words that are not written in different colors.
- 10. The students will match the correct cap to the color word (not written in its color).
- 11. The students will read the sentence together.
Closure: The teacher will ask:
- What did we learn today?
- What did you like about the story?
- Why do we need to know our color words?
- Students will be asked to choose two colors and color two caps in crayon. Students will then label the caps with the correct color
- Students will also be given a homework assignment based on color words.
- Students will sort the caps they colored as a class and then stack them together in groups. The stack will be used as part of a bulletin board.
- Color words will be printed in their color.
- A color chart with pictorial representation will be given to the individual child as needed.
E-Mail Kerry Watson !