view a plan
Here students create illustrated Kidspiration concept maps to define new reading vocabulary words
Computers & Internet, Language Arts
Title – Kidspiration Concept Map Book Reports
By – Nicole
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – 2
- Students will enhance their language skills, reading skills and technology skills.
- Students use spoken, written and visual language to accomplish their own purposes (learning, enjoyment, persuasion and the exchange of information).
- By the end of 2nd grade students will understand that people use many types of technologies in their daily lives (computers, cameras, audio/video players, phones, televisions).
Learning Resources and Materials:
- Multiple copies of a book of your choice
- Computers with Kidspiration software
- TV with VCR/DVD player
Development of Lesson:
- Students should start out reading the book. After the book has been read, have a viewing of the movie in class. Then, discuss the different aspects and events in the book.
- The children can create a concept map for defining words and putting them in sentences. Make sure you give them old words as well as new words. Then, the children can create another concept for one theme out of the book they choose. They can put the theme in the middle and then stem all their ideas from that theme. Another concept map can be created to compare the book with the movie. They can talk about how they differ or how they are alike.
- The book and words can be changed according to the child. Also if needed you can pair a student that has a little harder time with a child who is ahead of the grade level.
- This should be evaluated with a rubric in terms of neatness, accuracy and creativity.
- Once they are done in the computer lab bring them back to the class so they can share all their ideas, themes, and compare-contrasts.
E-Mail Nicole O. !