view a plan
Nouns and verbs are taught using an interactive SMART Board in this lesson
Language Arts, Computers & Internet
K, 2, 1
Title – Nouns and Verbs using a Smartboard
By – Miss Horton
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subjects – Computers / Internet
Grade Level – K-2
- National – Eng.K-12.6:
- Students apply knowledge of language structure, language conventions, media techniques, figurative language, genre to create, critique and discuss print and non-print texts.
- State – Standard 1 – Language for Information and Understanding:
- Students will listen, speak, read, and write for information and understanding. As listeners and readers, students will collect data, facts, and ideas; discover relationships, concepts, and generalizations; and use knowledge generated from oral, written, and electronically developed texts.
- Nouns and Verbs
- Sentence structure,
- identifying nouns and verbs,
- using appropriate nouns or verbs correctly in a sentence.
- Students will be able to choose the correct noun or verb that completes the sentence.
- Students will be able to pick a noun or verb out of a sentence.
- Students will be able to verbally tell me what a noun or verb is from a picture provided.
- Given a group of sentences, students will be able to circle the correct noun or verb that completes the sentence ten consecutive times.
- Given a picture, students will be able to circle the nouns in one color and the verbs in another color ten consecutive times.
- Given a group of words, students will be able to move the words into the noun column or the verb column ten consecutive times.
Materials and Aids:
- Smartboard accessibility
- Review of nouns by finding a noun from a picture provided.
- Review of verbs by finding a verb from a picture provided.
- Review of the definition of a noun and verb.
- Show a picture of that has several nouns and label each noun, as a person, place or thing.
- Show several pictures of a movement (verb) and label the verb correctly.
- Provide a sentence and fill in the blank using a noun or verb correctly in the sentence.
- Show the students how to use a noun or verb in a sentence correctly.
- Show the students how to find nouns and verbs in pictures.
- Describe a noun or a verb and ask yourself what each describes in a sentence.
- Independent Practice:
- Provide students with pictures of nouns and have them circle the nouns in a specific color.
- Provide pictures of verbs and have students label the verb correctly.
- Give students sentences with the noun or verb missing and have the students fill in the blank with the appropriate word.
- Accommodations (Differentiated Instruction):
- For students with reading problems, I will have another student read the directions to him/her.
- For students with behavior issues, I will use classroom routine and proximity.
- For English learners (ESL), I will provide peer tutoring during free time.
- Checking for understanding:
- I will evaluate my students using a chart.
- I will give specific praise often.
- I will ask students to use nouns and verbs at random.
- Review of what we have learned.
- Give specific examples of using nouns and verbs in a sentence correctly.
- Students will need to correctly provide a noun in a sentence provided ten consecutive times.
- Students will need to correctly provide a verb in a sentence ten consecutive times.
E-Mail Miss Horton !