view a plan
Pick a Playwright – Create a PowerPoint on a Playwright and Present it Dressed as a Play’s Character
9, 12, 11, 10
Title – Pick a Playwright
By – Harmonie Skipper
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – 9 – 12
Students will perform internet research to gain information on a playwright of their choice. The students will individually prepare a PowerPoint presentation reporting their findings. The student’s PowerPoint will cover a brief biography on the playwright, his/her time and place in history, plays he/she wrote and a summary of one play they read by the playwright. Students will be asked to focus on one character from the play they chose and present to the class how they relate to the character and why. The student will dress as the character while presenting.
Targeted South Carolina Content Standards:
Theater Standard – V.
Apply research from printed and non-printed sources to plan writing, acting, designing, and directing activities.
Student Objectives/Learning Goals:
- Study a famous playwright from a list provided.
- Research a playwright
- Read a teacher approved play by the playwright
- Identify with a character from the play and explain to the class why they relate to the character
- Costume themselves as the character during the presentation.
- Present findings to the class in PowerPoint form.
Approximate Time Needed:
Four 45-minute periods (two classes spent in the computer lab, two classes for presentation time)
- Checklist to determine if all objectives were attempted by the student.
- Student researched and prepared a PowerPoint presentation covering a brief biography on the playwright, his/her time and place in history, plays he/she wrote and a summary of one play they read by the playwright.
- Student came prepared to present and was dressed as chosen character.
E-Mail Harmonie Skipper!