view a plan
Here students write a different type of poem each day, culminating in a PowerPoint presentation
Computers & Internet, Language Arts
5, 4, 3, 2
Title – PowerPoint Poetry
By – Katie Patterson
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subjects – Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 2-5
Class Periods – 5
- The student will create written poetry to entertain others.
- The student will select their best work to showcase in a class PowerPoint portfolio.
- The teacher will provide students with poetry templates throughout the week.
- The teacher will give instructions highlighting one particular type of poem per day.
Instructional Process: Activity #1
- : Student will create an acrostic using winter words. This process will include a first copy on notebook paper. After revisions, student will transfer to final copy.
- Teacher and class will create a “Winter Word Brainstorm” using the Promethean Board.
- : Student will complete a poem about mittens by filling in an incomplete template.
- Teacher will provide “Mittens” and leave adjectives blank.
- : Student will create a diamante using winter and summer as the beginning and ending topic. Student will enter final copy into computer template and print from website (
- Teacher will create an example on the Promethean Board with the class.
- : Student will create a shape/concrete poem. Student will use a mitten or igloo template for final copies.
- Student will trace on the back of the final copy to have an exact practice template.
- : Student will select one poem to showcase in the class PowerPoint portfolio. Student will create one slide with at least one effect.
- Teacher will create one slideshow for all students’ slides.
- Student will share poem with class as their poem appears in the slideshow.
E-Mail Katie Patterson !