view a plan
This soft and hard vowels EFL lesson employs the yin/yang symbol
6, 5, 4, 3
Title – Soft Vowels
By – John Tatum
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – 3rd-6th
- This lesson compares vowels to the yin/yang symbol. The soft vowels a, e, i, o, and u would be the yin vowels, and the vowels that say their name are the yang or hard vowels.
- Repeat the soft sound of the vowels seven times to train your student’s ears.
- Next give them a short quiz by writing three letter words with the middle letter left out like so:
- After the students have written these on their papers, you are ready to begin the quiz. Emphasize that this is a Listening Quiz.
- Say the words two times, go slow. For example:
- 1. …bed, bed…
- 2. …pan, pan…, etc.
- After taking this quiz about 5-7 times, all students should get at least 8 out of 10 correct. When you have achieved mastery in your class, you can move on to more difficult sounds and words.
E-Mail John Tatum !