view a plan
“Quality Time” is a big book lesson about “Me and My Dad”
Title – Quality Time
By – Luz Alonso
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – Kindergarten
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards:
- 110.2 English Language Arts and Reading
- b.1 Listening/speaking/purposes. The student listens attentively and engages actively in a variety of oral language experiences. The student is expected to:
- 1D Listen critically to interpret and evaluate.
- Students will be able to identify cause and effect.
- Students will be able to express their feelings towards Dads/Moms/favorite people.
- Students will be able to describe definition of predict/infer.
- Big Book: My Dad and I, by Julio Ricardo Baerga
Establishing Set / Motivation / Introduction:
“I want you guys to turn your listening ears on (allow students to show what they are been asked to do), vision goggles on, and the most important, turn your thinking caps on.
- Introduce the title of the book and author.
- Ask students to predict what the book will be about and why.
- Ask what fun things do they do with Moms/Dads/favorite people.
- Explain what cause and effect means.
- Begin to read the story.
- Ask students to think about what happens in the story and why it happens.
- Make sure kids are not playing around and that they are paying attention.
- Ask questions about the story such as:
- How do you know Rafa is just learning how to dance?
- How do you know?
- Do you think they are having fun together?
- Help kids sum up the story.
- Have them look at individual pictures and describe what they see.
- Encourage the use of words “first”, “then”, and “in the beginning of the book”.
- Tell them it is important to understand why things happen in the story. “What made Rafa’s dad laugh? (jokes) Let’s look for other reasons why things happen.”
- “Do you all think this was a good title for the book?
- Why do you think Rafa says he and his dad are ‘Best Friends?’”
- Share what you like to do with your dad.
- Let them share what they like to do with their dads.
- “Dads and Moms can also be good friends.”