view a plan
Here children will spell sight words after readingJoseph Wants to Read
Title – Joseph Wants to Read
By – Michelle Vanston
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – Kindergarten
Time: 30 minutes
- - The children will recognize and spell sight words with scaffolding from the teacher.
- - The Book:
Joseph Wants To Learn to Read
- By Fabienne Teyssedre
- - Letters for the color words, on poster board and string to hand around necks. (R, E, D, B, L, U, Y, L, O, W) NOTE: Any set of sight words can be used.
- 1. Read the children the story.
- 2. Tell the children that now they will get to pretend that they are like the animals in the book wearing letters too, and that they will spell color words with the letters.
- 3. Ask for volunteers. Give the volunteers a letter to wear, telling them what letter they are, and what sound it makes.
- 4. Start with an easy word such as R-E-D; put the children in correct spelling arrangement.
- 5. Ask the children if they recognize the word. Have the children who are wearing the letters tell the class what letter they are. Have them next say the sound.
- 6. The teacher will now go through and blend the sounds together; next the class will blend the sounds together with her/him.
- 7. The children should now recognize this word as the word red.
- 8. Next have new children volunteer to spell the word b-l-u-e. Put the children in incorrect spelling order. Tell the children that they, like Joseph, will put the children in the correct order. Have the class try to put them in correct order with scaffolding and blending from the teacher.
- 9. Go through several of the color words, time permitting.
E-Mail Michelle Vanston !