view a plan
This is a letter “B” lesson
Title – Beginning Sounds
By – Christine Venditti
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – PreK-K
- Students will be able to identify pictures/items with the beginning sound of the letter “B”.
- ELA Standards 1, 2, 3 and 5
- Alphatales book for the letter Bb – Bubble Bear
- Different items that begin with the letter B (box, ball, block, bubbles, etc.); also have items that start with different letters
- Brown bag
- Chart paper
- Talk about the letter “B” and its sound.
- Read the story Bubble Bear .
- Make a picture/word web for the letter “B”.
- If the children have trouble, remind them of the sound that the letter “B” makes.
- Go back to the pictures in the story. Show the children the pictures and ask, “What is this a picture of?” They say “bunny”. Make the sound “/b/, /b/, bunny”. If the child says cat, you say “/c/, /c/, cat. Does that have the same sound as /b/, /b/?”
- Have the students choose an object from the bag. Say its name. Ask the student if they hear the sound /b/. If it matches the sound, then add the picture to the web, if it is not there.
- Students can sort objects into a container by the beginning sound. One container will have the letter b on it and the other a picture of a garbage can.
- Students can also draw a picture of something that begins with the sound /b/.
E-Mail Christine Venditti !