view a plan
The “Linking Verb Macarena” is a fun mnemonic device idea
5, 6, 7, 8
Title – Linking Verb Macarena
By – Alison Dulaney
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – 5-8
- The “Linking Verb Macarena” is a great way to get students excited about learning and remembering linking verbs.
- Do the words and motions to “The Macarena.”
- Each word has a motion.
- “SEEM” is drawn out at the end before you turn. It should sound like “Seeeeeem, Look, Appear.”
- Here are the lyrics to the song:
- Am, Is, Are, Was
- Were, Be, Become, Became
- Feel, Grow, Taste, Smell
- Seeeeeeem, Look, Appear
- I explain that this is obviously not all of the linking verbs, just the most common ones we see.
- My sixth graders love this idea. I still have seniors that come back to me and sing/do it!
- There are some websites where you can get the free karaoke Macarena version, and I, of course, use that too. Music makes it better!
E-Mail Alison Dulaney !