view a plan
This lesson uses the story “Caps For Sale” and is on Patterns and Sequences
By – Anne Marie Tschinkel
Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – Kindergarten
Objective: The students will become familiar with the concept of patterns and sequence through the story Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina.
1. Show the cover to the students
2. Ask the students to make predictions
3. Read the story
4. Ask the students to place the events of the book (on laminated cards) in order on the chart
5. Reread the story and check predictions and chart
6. Hand out worksheet on patterns
7. Make necklaces to reinforce knowledge
1. Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
2. Chart paper
3. story sequence chart
4. laminated event picture cards.
5. fun tac
7. multi-colored macaroni
This lesson plan integrates the subjects of math, language arts, and art. The students count the hats in the story as well as sequence the events in the story. The students complete a pattern worksheet where they continue a pattern of different objects by cutting them out and gluing them to the correct pattern. The art part is when the students make their own macaroni necklace, keeping to a specific pattern.
E-Mail Anne Marie Tschinkel !