view a plan
In this writing exercise, students create a Memory-A-Day box as a gift for someone special
9, 10, 11, 12
Title – The Memory Box
By – Mrs. Kathleen A. Wild
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subject -
Grade Level – 9-12
- Small or large index cards, white with blue lines, or even colored cards.
- A pen or a pencil,
glue or scotch tape,
wrapping paper or material,
1/4 to 1/2 inch ribbon on a roll,
one piece of construction paper to make a gift card for the box,
and crayons, colored pencils or markers.
- A box that can be purchased at the dollar store, a shoebox or a cigar box.
- Choose someone special in your family to write about.
- Take an index card and title it. An example might be “Christmas at Grandma’s House by (you are the author of this story, so write or print your name after the title).
- Next, choose an approximate date or the year of this event and print or write it below the author’s name.
- Now the fun begins. Start writing about your special event. When you are finished, place the card into the box.
- Your goal is to write a card for each day of the month, so that when you are finished, you may present this box to someone special who can read one event or special occasion per day. This will include 28 days for a leap year, or 30 or 31 days depending on the month.
- After completing all of your cards, tie a ribbon around the entire stack of index cards.
- Next, you can decorate your box with wrapping paper or material using your glue or tape, but be sure not to “wrap the box.” This means to be sure to wrap the lid separately or glue the material so that the box can be opened without tearing off the paper or cloth.
- Now take the construction paper and design a card to go with the special memories box.
- This can be given to someone special for a birthday, graduation, as a get well present, etc.
- Give this special box to someone special.
Conclusion: Have fun and enjoy the memories that this special person has shared with you. This will also help improve writing, as well as remembering the happy memories that this special someone made for you.
E-Mail Mrs. Kathleen A. Wild !