view a plan
The Keeping Quilt story is used in this idea called Quilts of Many Colors
3, 4, 5, 6
Quilts of Many Colors
by Amy Scoolis Maxie
Subject: Language Arts
Discuss with students what a quilt is and why it has special meanings to people.
Read The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
1. Discuss vocabulary words such as “huppa”, and “Sabbath”.
2. Tell students what you would use in your quilt, such as pieces of a wedding dress, a baby blanket, etc.
3. Share your quilt square with the students and explain what you have included in it.
4. Give each student a copy of a paper quilt square and have them draw things that represent them.
5. When the whole class is done have individual students come up and share their squares with the whole class.
**This is a great first day of school lesson!!
Take all of the quilt squares and put them together to form a classroom quilt.