view a plan
Round Robin is the name of this Spelling Game
5, 4, 3, 2
Title – Round Robin Spelling
By – Joe Quinn
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – 2-5
Round Robin Spelling
This is a game that I developed to keep all students on task and learning. This game helps the lower student gain from the higher student.
The object of the game is to gain points by spelling words from the current or past classroom spelling lists. The students will spell the words as a group.
Your job as the teacher is to be the host and write the words on the board.
1. Put your class into groups of about 4-5 student groups.
2. Put the groups “name” on small pieces of paper and put into a “hat” put in enough so that each group will have the same amount of opportunity to be chosen. ex. if you have 5 groups and 20 words, then group there will be four 1’s, four 2’s, etc..
3. Choose one of the spelling words and say it to the class; ONCE (this will keep the students listening.
4. Give the students a few moments to discuss the word as a group (don’t choose the group until the last moment this will keep all groups listening)
5. Then choose form the “hat” a group
**Then you will choose a student to start the spelling, You will go around the group and the members will give you the next letter of the word (and only the next letter) NO Talking or helping at this time.
6. As the students spell the word (here is how you keep the other groups listening) you write exactly the letter that the student says. IF/ONCE the word is spelled incorrectly any group can CHALLENGE by everyone in the group raising their hand.
7. I give 1 point if the group spells the word correctly on their turn, and 2 points if there is a CHALLENGE or STEAL (this makes paying attention while other groups spelling even more important.
8. In case of a tie I use a past word/ or if I want the game to continue.
9. You can also deduct points form groups who are talking or disruptive to any other group.
10. **A group might CHALLENGE a correctly spelled word!
*I didn’t proof read so if you see any mistakes sorry!
or if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at KNDRCP@AOL.com
E-Mail Joe Quinn !