view a plan
Here students research a key American poet’s relationship to an American literary era
Computers & Internet, Language Arts, Social Studies, Art
9, 11, 12, 10
By – Carla Brookshire
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Secondary Subjects – Social Studies, Art, Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 9-12
- Eight 50-minute class periods
- Students will be able to develop an understanding of different literary eras in America, as well as an in-depth understanding of one key American poet of their choice.
- Students are given a list of key American poets, along with samples of their poems. They are to choose a poet from their list for their projects.
Day Two – Three – Four:
- Students will go to the computer lab to search for sites about their poet and the time period in which they were/are living and writing.
- Students must find the following:
- 1) A bibliography of possible sources to use in their projects
- 2) A book on their topic
- 3) Bibliographical information on their poet
- 4) A timeline of important historical events during the lifetime of the poet
- 5) Other famous writers and poets of the time
- 6) Five to ten poems by their poets
- 7) Critical essays or reviews of their poet
Days Five, Six, Seven, Eight:
- Putting it all together!
- Project will include the following:
- 1) A creative cover
- 2) One page of biographical information and works cited in MLA format.
- 3) A timeline (of your creation) of important historical events during the lifetime of the poet
- 4) A list of other famous writers and poets of the time
- 5) A list of five to ten poems by the poet, and date published
- 6) A one page summary of literary criticism on the poet – include works cited.
- 7) A 3-5 page essay on your poet in MLA format which includes information gathered to prove the following:
What makes your poet a significant American artist?
- (Literary criticism must be utilized.)
Sample Thesis: Walt Whitman is the quintessential American poet because his life and writings exemplify the successes and failure, loves and losses which define the American experience.
E-Mail Carla Brookshire !