view a plan
A Language Arts Plan using a Story Pyramid
Language Arts Title: Story Pyramid Katie Ritorto November 18, 1997 Comprehension Lesson Lesson Plan: Story Pyramid Grade: Second Objectives: Students will be able: - to state the story problem - to state the solution to the problem
- marker, worksheet, the book- The Giant Jam Sandwich
- before the lesson prepare the large chart paper like a “story pyramid” for the students to see as a model.
- Ask the students what they think this book is about by just looking at the pictures. Tell the students to listen carefully to the order in which events in the story takes place (what happens first, second and so on) because the class is going to be filling in a “story pyramid.” Show them what a “story pyramid” looks like.
1. ____ 2. ____ ____ 3. ____ ____ ____ 4. ____ ____ ____ ____ 5. ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ 6. ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ 7. ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ 8. ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
- Read the book, The Giant Jam Sandwich, aloud to the students.
- Hand out the “story pyramid” worksheets
- The students are to fill in the pyramid with the information asked below:
1- write the name of the main character
2- two words describing the main character
3- three words describing the setting
4- four words stating the story problem
5- five words describing the first event in the story
6- six words describing a second event
7- seven words describing a third event
8- eight words describing the solution to the problem
- Have the students write a sentence for each line using one word for each space provided.
- Ask the students how many liked using the “story pyramid” and what they liked or disliked.
- Discuss with the class how using the “story pyramid” helped to organize the story. Did the pyramid make it easier to identify the chain of events in the story?
- Ask the class if their predictions for the book were right and ask how they came up with those predictions (example: by looking at the pictures, title)
Note- this lesson was adapted form Donna Calder
E-mail Katie !