view a plan
Here’s a lesson on Valentine Cinquain Poems
By – Sue Mo.
Subject – Language Arts, Valentine’s Day
Grade Level – 3-4
Objective: To teach how to write a cinquain poem; and to enjoy creating a valentine for a loved one.
1. Distribute a hand-out with the steps of a cinquain delineated;
Line 1: Write a noun.
Line 2: Write two adjectives describing the noun on Line 1;
Line 3: Write 3 words ending with -ing (action words) that describe what the noun on Line 1 might do;
Line 4: Write a phrase describing the noun on Line 1; and
Line 5: Write a synonym of the word on Line 1.
Example: “My Wonderful Valentine”
caring, loving, sharing
– a special person in my life
2. Cut out a red-construction paper heart. Write the cinquain on white-lined paper and cut it out in the shape of a heart, a little smaller than the red-construction heart.
3. Glue the white-lined paper, with the poem on it, onto the red-construction paper heart.
4. To give the valentine some pizzazz, glue on a white, paper doily onto the back of the red-construction paper heart.
5. On the back, write the date, a closing, and signature.
THIS CUPID’S VALENTINE WILL BE A SURE HIT!