view a plan
As in “A Pocket for Corduroy,” students write and post notices to find their lost bear here
Title – A Pocket for Corduroy
By – Brianna Crosby
Primary Subject – Language Arts
Grade Level – 1st
TEKS: 1.14(b) Understand simple story structure
Learning Objectives: The student will be able to:
- 1. Identify how to build and create their own letter with no misunderstanding.
- 2. Write their own notice for their lost bear with few errors.
- 3. Check grammar to make sure everything is spelled right with few errors.
List of materials needed:
- 1. large index cards
- 2. pencils
- 3. markers
- 4. crayons
- 5. thumbtacks
- 6. tape
- 7. bulletin board
- Ask children what Lisa could do to find her lost bear. Have children get in groups and discuss what they think they could put about what the bear looks like on their notecard. Get materials needed.
- After students have discussed with friends, they will need to go back to their seat and remain working alone.
- What will Lisa say or do to find her bear? Where do you think Corduroy is?
- 1. Discuss what happened in Corduroy
- 2. Explain to students what an announcement is — an informational letter letting the reader know what you need help with or telling someone something important.
- What could be helpful in making your announcement?
- Should you be careful about making your bear match its announcement?
- Would making your spelling correct be helpful in your announcement?
- 3. Ask questions to make sure students have a full understanding
4. Give each student their favorite colored index card.
- 5. Make sure each student has the materials needed.
- 6. Have students begin writing their announcement.
- 7. Have students draw a picture that goes along with the description of the bear.
- 8. Go around and check that picture is appropriate for announcement.
- 9. Have each student read aloud to the class.
- 10. Let each student put their bear on the bulletin board to decorate it.
- 11. Have students put announcements on bulletin board.
- 12. Clean up.
- Have volunteers go up to the bulletin board and choose which bear goes with which announcement.
E-Mail Brianna Crosby !