view a plan
Here students use sidewalk chalk to create, measure, and label the “Longest & Weirdest Candy Cane”
Title – Longest & Weirdest Candy Cane
By – Beth Cart
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects – Art
Grade Level – 4 or 5
Objective: The students will measure and then convert the distances in yards to feet and inches.
Materials needed: Sidewalk chalk, yard sticks
Procedure: After having a class discussion about yards, feet, and inches and how they compare to each other, students will complete the following activity.
1) Divide the class into groups of 4 or 5
2) Each group will draw a unique candy cane made up of 5 sections – 1 yard, 2 yards, 3 yards, 4 yards, and 5 yards.
3) Alongside each section they will label each one: for example – 3 yards, 9 feet, 108 inches
4) The students will then decorate and color their candy canes.
5) A prize can be given to the group that has the most unique candy cane.
Evaluation: Students can draw a smaller version of their candy cane and label each side on a sheet of paper to turn into the teacher.