view a plan
An idea for teaching Decimal Operations by means of a Restaurant Simulation
Title – Restaurant Decimals
By – Cathy Walsh
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects –
Grade Level – 3
Objective: Students will be able to utilize adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals in a real life scenario.
Food order form
1. Break students up into two groups. The first group can act like customers in a restaurant. The second group will be the waiters.
2. The waiters should take down the customers’ food orders. They are then responsible for adding up the bill afterwards. (If there is enough time, the waiters can draw the food and give it to the customers along with the bill.- spatial intelligence)
3. The two groups switch roles.
* When did you use multiplication instead of addition? (when the person ordered more than one thing that cost the same price)
* Did you use subtraction? If so, when?
* When would you have to use division at a restaurant? (perhaps to split a bill between a certain number of people.
E-Mail Cathy Walsh !