view a plan
Jumbo die are used in this doubles lesson
Title – Doubling Numbers
By – Molly Vazquez
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 1
Concept – Double numbers from 1 to 10. Use familiar doubles to figure out other doubles. Language – add, addition, double.
- For student – jumbo die, paper, pencil, counters if needed.
- For teacher – white board, marker.
- 1 – Review Doubles. Ask the students what is a double and what doubles do they know. Write these on the white board.
- 2 – Have a student roll the jumbo die and tell the class what number appears.
- 3 – Have the students write this number down on their paper, double it and write the sum (Example – 4+4=8). They may use counters if needed.
- 4 – Continue having students roll the die and create doubles. Compile doubles from 1 to 10 on white board.
- 5 – Discuss what might be an easy way to use doubles they know to figure out other numbers. (Example – Double 5 is 10, what is double 6? Because 6 is one more than 5, double 1 is 2. 10+2=12.)
- 6 – Have children identify doubles they know to figure out other doubles.
- 7 – Have the children write the addition sentences.
- 8 – Review the concept.
E-Mail Molly Vazquez !