view a plan
This lesson teaches the concepts of equal parts and one-half
Title – Equal Parts
By – Teresa Cannady
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 1
- T1_NY_1.S.6 – Interpret data in terms of the words: most, least, greater than, less than, or equal to.
- Student will recognize equal parts of a shape and how to share items equally between two people and understand that when something is shared in two equal parts, each part is 1/2
- Students will identify and determine whether a shape has been divided into equal or unequal parts and determine how two people can share with each getting Ã‚Â½ of the item
- basket of items
- Show students a basket with objects. Have two volunteers come up and work with the class to determine how the volunteers can share the objects equally.
- Model how to fold paper into two equal parts.
- Give each student pieces of paper with instructions to fold the paper into equal parts. Explain that each part is 1 out of 2 or Ã‚Â½.
- Give students an opportunity to fold papers in half. Count how many different ways the students can fold the paper in half.
- Have students label each equal part 1 out of 2 or 1/2
Plan for Independent Practice:
- Leave shape worksheets in math center and instruct students to fold shapes in half, color one half and label each half.
E-Mail Teresa Cannady !