view a plan
Favorite Fruits are graphed here
Title – What’s your Favorite Fruit?
By – Maria Arias
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 1
- 9A. Collect and sort data; and
- 9B. Use organized data to construct real object graphs and bar type graphs
Learning Objectives: The student will be able to…
- 1) Collect and sort data among his and her classmates
- 2) Construct a bar graph from data without error
- 3) Maintain organization and keep items in order
- 1) 2 Big Posters
- 2) Markers
- Poster board
- Students will be at desks
- What is your favorite fruit?
- 1) On one poster board, write the title “Fruits”
- 2) Make a line through the middle of the poster
- 3) On the left side, write the names of various fruits
- 4) Tell students they will raise their hand when their favorite fruit is called
- 5) Remind students to only raise hand once
- 6) Before starting, ask students to close their eyes to avoid copying each other.
- 7) Go down the list and tally when students raise their hands
- 8) Have students open their eyes and count how many tally marks are for each fruit
- 9) On another poster, write a big “L”
- 10) Label the axis and explain bottom line will be fruits; left line will be the number of students
- 11) Show them how to create a bar graph, Example: 3 students for strawberry
- 12) Color each bar
- Which fruit had the most?
- Which fruit had the least?
E-Mail Maria Arias !