view a plan
This 5-minute interval time-telling lesson utilizes “Clocks and More”
Language Arts, Math
1, 2, 3
By – Laura Campora
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts, Computers / Internet
Grade Level – 1-3
- Students should be able to tell time by five-minute intervals
- NYS 2.M.9 – Tell time to the half hour and five minutes using both digital and analog clocks.
- Clocks and More Clocks by Pat Hutchins
- Class set of Judy clocks
- Internet access
Clocks and More Clocks
- by Pat Hutchins. Discuss different types of clocks and why it is important to know how to tell time.
- The teacher shows various times on a Judy clock – students name the time. Teacher dictates different times – students display back these times on their Judy clocks.
- With a partner, have one partner use a Judy clock to show a time to five minutes. The other partner names the time. Take turns. Do this for 10 minutes.
- Students will complete
Time Activity Card
- independently. (See Below)
Math Activity Card:
- Follow this link:
- Start by clicking on Level C – Grade/Year 2
- On the next screen, click on the clock – time.
- Write the number for each time. You must fill in both empty squares.
- Once you type in your answer, click CHECK and a check mark or an “X” will appear to tell you if you are right or wrong. You can fix your work if there is an X or click on the NEXT button for another problem.
- You must continue until you earn a score of 20.
To test for half-hour intervals, click on the 3:30 clock.
To test for 5-minute intervals, click on the 3:10 clock.
E-Mail Laura Campora !