view a plan
“Christmas Shopping at Harrods” is a problem-solving lesson involving monetary conversions
Language Arts, Math
Title – Christmas Shopping at Harrods Department Store
By – Tommasa M.C. Imbesi
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects – Language Arts
Grade Level – 4
- Problem Solving
- Learning through experience (learning by doing)
- Acquiring the ability to work well in groups
- Obtaining information from various sources, including the Internet and having them interact
- Reflecting upon the process of learning
- Converting from one commonly used monetary unit of measurement to another
- Performing the four basic arithmetic operations
- Mathematics Objectives:
- Acquiring the ability to observe, describe and represent reality using specific disciplinary languages
- Understanding simple and clear messages with known structures and vocabulary on familiar topics.
- Gradually acquiring a wider vocabulary to describe situations
- Improving language skills
- Language Arts Objectives:
- Disciplinary Content:
- Monetary Conversions (Mathematics)
- Asking and saying the price
- Interacting in short exchanges (dialogical L2) monitored by the teacher and stimulated with visual media
- Writing simple messages following a pattern
- The students create a list of Christmas items to buy in order to decorate a new flat (apartment) in London.
- They calculate how much they can spend, staying at or below the designated amount.
- The students also calculate how much change they should receive, if any, and the exchange rate between euro (European currency) and pound (British currency).
- Teacher says that “friends have just bought a flat in London. As it is Christmas time, they would like to buy new decorations and Christmas items.
- The pupils suggest a list of Christmas decorations and visiting Harrods online. They know their prices in pounds.
- For the missing items (on Harrods online, they can’t find crib items), they look on advertising flyers and calculate the exchange rate euro/pound. At least, they calculate the total amount.
Group concept development/activity:
- Organize students into groups.
- Every group looks for the price of Christmas items on Harrods online.
- The students, with the help of the teacher, write the problem by including illustrations of the items and prices.
- Where necessary, they calculate the exchange rate between euro and pound.
- They calculate the total amount.
E-Mail Tommasa !