view a plan
Learning multiplication facts with this lesson is as easy as singing “Row, Row, Row your Boat”
2, 3, 4, 5
Title – Learning Multiplication Facts (1-9)
By – Susan Salvi
Primary Subject – Math
Grade Level – 2 – 5
- NYS Math Standard 1
- Students will know their multiplication tables before entering third grade.
- These are mini-lesson done 10-15 minutes a day until all multiplication facts are completed. I usually spend 1-2 weeks on each times table. It is guaranteed success! (Note from LessonPlansPage.com: this is not a legal guarantee.)
- Students will sing the multiplication facts to different tunes.
- Knowledge of the tunes of the songs and being able to sing!
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
- Students will be able to sing nursery rhymes and children songs.
- Teacher will introduce the song Row, Row, Row, Your Boat .
- Students will sing along with the teacher.
- Teacher will then sing the 3 times tables to the beat of Row, Row, Row, Your Boat . (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36)
- Teacher will sing the song again and again inviting students to sing the numbers with her.
- Teacher will continue to sing the song introducing each number to a correlated finger (3 will be one finger up, 6 will be 2 fingers up, etc… count up to ten… hit right and left ear for 33, 36 (11, 12).
- Students will continue to practice this song with the numbers and fingers for two lessons.
- Once the teacher feels the students have a grasp of the song, she will then introduce a math problem… (3×6 for example) and teach children to sing the 3 times tables up to the 6th finger.
- Teacher will continue to play this “Sing to the Finger” game with all 3 times tables for at least two lessons.
- Once the 3 times tables are grasped, teacher will introduce the other times tables, one at a time, until all are learned.
4 times tables — Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
5 times tables — regular beat
6 times tables — Mary Had a Little Lamb
7 times tables — Silent Night or Puff the Magic Dragon
8 times tables — This Old Man
9 times tables — Yankee Doodle Dandy
Plan For Independent Practice:
- Students practice singing the songs for homework or with a partner during the school day.
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set):
- Every day at the open and close of learning a new times table, students will sing all the times tables they learned.
Assessment Based On Objectives:
- Teacher will have the students stand up and give other students multiplication problems. They sit when they miss. The teacher can also use a paper and pencil test with the basic facts.
E-Mail Susan Salvi !