view a plan
With Kidspiration and some rhyming skills, students create a multiplication rap video here for “The Fours”
Computers & Internet, Math, Music
By – Kristin
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subjects – Music, Computers & Internet
Grade Level – 3
- Multiplication Facts – “The Fours”
- Math Standard N.FL.03.11:
- Find products fluently up to 10 x 10.
- Find related quotients using multiplication and division relationships.
Learning Resources and Materials:
- Multiplication flashcards for reference
- Kidspiration software for recording and images
Development of Lesson:
- Students will be divided up into ten groups and assigned a corresponding number 1-10.
- Each group will then write a two line “rap” about their number multiplied by four.
(e.g. ” Four times two equals eight. This class sure is great! “)
- We will then compile these mini-raps into one classroom rap.
- The students will rehearse until they have memorized each multiplication fact of four .
- The class will perform their creation and record it on Kidspiration.
- Teacher will later pair the performance with graphics of the facts and create a fun video for the students.
- This lesson follows previous instruction on multiplication facts and the facts of four will be reviewed beforehand.
- The students will be placed in groups based on their learning styles. Their learning style was determined previously through a learning style quiz. Students with intrapersonal, musical, etc. learning styles will be separated to ensure greatest effectiveness in each group.
- If any child with special needs is not be able to work well in groups with other children, the teacher should help them personally to create their own “rap”.
- After our classroom rap is created and learned by all, there will be a test on the multiplication facts of four. The students’ scores on this test will demonstrate the success of this learning activity.
- As a class, we will reflect on the test scores. If this is a successful lesson, I will consider incorporating music into other lessons to help reinforce various topics.
- N/A at this time.
E-Mail Kristin !