view a plan
This math and music idea instills numeracy without using number symbols
5, 4, 3
By – Sheena Carty
Primary Subject – Math
Secondary Subject – Music
Grade Level – 3-5
- The above not only trains the musical ear, but deals with quantity, instilling numeracy without using number symbols.
- Begin the lesson with all the children sitting in a circle.
- Explain to the children that you will hit a drum and they must show you the amount of sounds using one hand, i.e. if you hit two beats, they should show two fingers.
- Repeat this using the other hand and see who has the correct number of fingers displayed on both hands.
- Ask the chosen student to then strike the drum to the value of both hands, i.e.
4 left hand + 2 right hand = 6 beats on the drum.
- If the student is correct, they then begin the game by hitting the drum whilst the other students display the amount on their fingers and continue as above.
E-Mail Sheena Carty !